Friday, July 23, 2010

Kesha Has No Talent?

One of the funnier things I've heard recently: people saying that pop star Kesha - I'm sorry, "Ke$ha" - has "no talent". These accusations basically come down to one of the following:

1) She Can't Sing
2) She Doesn't Write Her Own Songs
3) She Can't Sing and Doesn't Write Her Own Songs

Now, why is this funny? It is not unrealistic to think that, in our age of industry songwriters and auto-tune, a successful pop star could lack skill in one or both of these departments. However, what exactly is a pop star responsible for? I propose that they essentially have the following three duties:

1) Sing
2) Write Songs
3) Look good

Now, follow this logic. If a label were to choose someone to market as a pop star, and didn't care about 1) and/or 2), which one of the following people would they choose?


"Dance Team 4 Life"


"My last name is literally Fox"

I'm not saying that Ke-dollar-ha is ugly, I'm just saying that she must have some kind of skill in 1) or 2). From what I've been able to gather, she is in fact a talented songwriter and a decent singer. It is true that the overall sonic quality of her tracks has more to do with the talents of her producer Dr. Luke (of whom I am a huge fan) than any particular skill she has, but anyone who calls her talentless has clearly not taken a good, hard look at the facts.

2 comments:

  1. Your argument has no logical basis. Megan Fox is hotter than Kesha so Kesha has talent? gtfo

    ReplyDelete