Friday, October 29, 2010

"Just A Dream" by Nelly

Half-jackets are all the rage in dreamland

Instead of my usual review, I'm just going to comment on a few select quotes from this song.

"I was thinkin' 'bout her, thinkin' about me.
Thinkin' about us, what we gonna be?
Open my eyes, yeah; it was only just a dream."

Summary: Nelly thought he was was thinking about a lady, but it turned out to be a dream. Apparently he doesn't think about relationships while awake, or maybe he does, but he just doesn't care to mention it.

"If you ever loved somebody put your hands up."

This is the new thing for cops to say when busting any kind of crime operation. It's like a preamble to the Miranda rights.

"Now I'm in the club thinkin' all about my baby."

This is a little bit confusing. Could Nelly actually be pondering the details of a relationship while awake? There's not enough evidence to say either way.

"I was at the top and I was like I’m in the basement."

Nelly excels at hide-and-seek because of this kind of clever treachery.

"And now you ain't around, baby I can't think.
Shoulda put it down. Shoulda got that ring."

Wait, what? I have searched the rest of the lyrics for the song, and there's no indication of what the "it" Nelly "shoulda put down" is.


We can only speculate

3 comments:

  1. Perhaps he wasn't pondering a relationship while awake, but rather was thinking about an actual human child? Maybe he's thinking about his baby while he's in the club, because he knows he shouldn't be wasting time being at parties all night. This song is actually about a neglectful father!

    Cale

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tim, I think your write up puts a fine point on the fact that over-commercialized musicians don't actually care about the words they're singing... and worse, listeners don't care about what they're hearing (at least in the song's entirety). I also agree with Caitlin and give a resounding "meh."

    ReplyDelete